mung aus Vogelfedern
uit vogelveren
Avian DNA sexing
ved hjælp af fugle fjer
Определение пола птиц при
помощи анализа ДНК из перьев
IL DNA- la determinazione di
Sesso fuori di uccello di Cuscino
El Reconocimiento del
ADN de plumas de aves
Determinação do Sexo por análise
do DNA de penas de aves
Détermination du sexe par ADN
à partir de plumes d’oiseaux

Young Pigeon Disease

Download Order Form
Download Pricelist
Startseite Flyer Avian DNA-Sexing Young Pigeon Disease
DNA-Test Young Pigeon Disease Syndrome

Screening for Circovirus (PiCV), Herpesvirus (PiHV) and Adenovirus (FAdV)

Sample material:

Blood sample (in EDTA or just a drop on a sterile swab), chloacal swab, tissue

The sensitivity of our laboratory analyses depends on the condition and the kind of the sent sample material significantly.

Please send us the material specified by our lab to ensure the highest level on reliability.

Duration of the investigation:

One to three days after receiving the sample

Disease pattern:

The Young Pigeon Disease Syndrome mostly affects livestocks of racing pigeons. The infectious agent is a circovirus which damages lymphoid tissue and suppresses the immune system, so that secondary bacterial (in particular E. coli) and fungal infections may occur. A causal involvement of Adenoviruses and/or Herpesviruses cannot be excluded.

Typically however only about 5% of the birds in a loft actually show symptoms, while the other 95% although infected with the virus do not develop clinical symptoms. Sick birds show typical signs like ruffled feathers, lethargy, weight loss, diarrhea and regurgitation. These birds mostly die within 3 to 7 days. In another form, sudden death can occur without being preceded by any perceptible signs of illness.

Mostly, the pathogens are transmitted by dust and contact between birds. An outbreak of the disease is promoted by stress factors such as heat, overcrowded lofts or young pigeon flights.


All birds newly integrated into the livestock should be tested for already existing infections.